Development School for Youth

Overview

In the Development School for Youth (DSY), young people ages 16 to 21 learn to perform as professionals, and they partner with business leaders across the country who conduct development workshops and provide paid summer internships at their companies.

My internship made me realize that I can do things I never thought I could do – and that fear, and failure, are a part of development. This experience enabled me to see new possibilities for myself, my future and my family. - Natalie Lamothe, Development School for Youth Alumni

 

How it works.

Inner-city teenagers learn how to create a professional performance in partnership with corporate leaders.

In the Development School for Youth (DSY), young people experience the business world through a series of rigorous, high-level workshops and trainings where they learn to perform as professionals.  Business leaders from top companies conduct workshops and provide training in leadership and business including resume-writing, networking, public speaking and dressing professionally.

Program graduates are then placed in six-week paid summer internships where they continue to develop their leadership and professional skills and connect to the world of success.

Today, thousands of individuals from 180 companies across America, including MetLife, EY, Viacom, PSEG, PwC, Equity Residential and Silicon Valley Bank, are participating in the All Stars Project approach to involvement philanthropy through the DSY, giving millions of hours of personal time to share their lives, expertise, and workplaces with some of our nation’s most marginalized and forgotten young people.

“There are causes that motivate me, that keep me excited about being a judge and about being a human being.  The [Development School for Youth] is one of those programs.  As I am growing older, and as I hope to continue making contributions to developing my society, I realize that it’s meaningless unless the generation that follows me picks up the battle and continues it.  And the battle is…to be better citizens, to be better family members, to be better friends, community members, and to give back to our society and make it better for everyone.  This program, I believe does that.”

Sonia Sotomayor, Justice, United States Supreme Court

“I have come to the realization that the All Stars offers a unique value proposition that is of HIGH urgency, and one that I’ve chosen to get more involved in… I think there is a limit to the societal impact associated with taking the top 10% of young people and making the 10% more successful in life… If there’s a way to reach the other 90% and make them 10% more successful, the payoff will be greater…That’s where the All Stars diverges from the mainstream approach… and it’s proven that it works…”

Chuck Chaplin, Executive Vice President, MBIA

“What is unique about the All Stars Project’s approach to Afterschool Development is that they bring together people from very different backgrounds, with different ideas about how to create a sense of community.  It is not only the young people that benefit from All Stars programs; business leaders find that when they interact with the young people (for example, through the Development School for Youth), it energizes everyone.  The benefit is felt throughout their companies.”

Hunter Hunt, CEO, Hunt Consolidated Energy LLC

To learn about what it takes to sponsor a DSY intern at  your company, visit dsy.allstars.org.

For more information on the DSY in:

What you can do.

Donate

Support inner-city young people with a generous gift.

Donate

Corporate Partnerships

Find out how you and your company can get involved with the DSY.

Learn More

Enroll

Help a young person see new possibilities for their lives through the DSY.

Enroll

Help set the stage for a young person to grow.

Call us to get involved.

(212) 356-8441

Stay connected.

Sign up for our mailing list.